Re: Energy & Sweden

If Sweden can purchase enough electricity from outside sources

economically, then more power to them (pun intended). However, I think it

is short sighted to completely dismiss nuclear power...and yes the U.S. is

just as guilty about it's energy future...planning doesn't seem to extend

much beyond the next election cycle.

An unfortunate truth is that science always takes a backseat to politics

and religion. Will our current course be changed? Only if you head towards

the second star to the right and straight on till morning!

DJWHitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or

positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

                    "Bjorn Cedervall"

                    <bcradsafers@hotma        To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

                    il.com>                   cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Energy & Sweden

                    radsafe@romulus.eh

                    s.uiuc.edu

                    03/01/01 10:43 AM

                    Please respond to

                    radsafe

In 1999 we exported 7.5 TWh (electricity). For the year 2000 the import was

about 4.5 TWh. The prognosis say that we may have to import 10 TWh (about 7

% of the total need) electricity and then again next year. Sweden still has

11 NPPs providing roughly half of the electricity needed. We still have

some

people who want to see all nuclear power shut down (I see a bad snow storm

outside my window in Stockholm and must soon go home - absolutely terrible

climate - it was down to about zero F here a few days ago).

My personal reflections and ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com