Re: LNT and Bystander Effect

- --part1_6b.115b1408.27e67704_boundary

There was quite much about bystander effects (the presentations I heard -

although only a few - there were many parallel sessions - were quite

convincining I must say) at the ICRR conference in Dublin in July 1999 (go

to the Proceedings, Radiation Research, Vol. 2 for more information.).

John B Little challenged the following central dogmas:

1. The cell nucleus is the target for the biological effects of radiation.

2. Biological effects occur in irradiated cells as a direct consequence of

DNA damage.

3. Cancers are clonal in origin, arising from a radiation-damaged cell.

The messeage was that these statements may not always hold.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com