More on space travel (fission powered)

- --part1_93.8a2eab0.27ed84c5_boundary

Hi radsafers:

     From: jpreisig@aol.com.

     I made a serious error in one of my recent (fission based???) space

propulsion radsafe messages, so here is a correction.

     When one goes from chemical propulsion (eV --- i.e. electron Volt

reactions)

to fission propulsion (MeV --- i.e. Million electron Volt reactions), one

gains

a factor of x10**6 (i.e. 1000 x 1000) in propulsion potential.  All of a

sudden,

fission propulsion (and/or fusion propulsion) look much better

than  chemical propulsion (even with the losses involved).

      I'm not saying UFO's are actually out there, but imagine this factor of

(1000 x 1000) actually driving a flying aircraft.  No wonder fission driven

aircraft can move so quickly and can make turns so rapidly.  Most of our

aircraft (that we are familiar with) are chemically propelled, so that's why

we

are used to more slowly moving aircraft that make such gradual turns.

     Again fission-based propulsion systems don't have to be 100% efficient

to be

useful.  Chemical propulsion systems are not 100 % efficient.

     As an aside, the scientists from Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (PPPL),

have

on their web-site some information about Hall Thrusters, which has to do

with fusion propulsion.  My only knock on fusion drives is all the neutrons

around.  Check out the PPPL web-page.

     Thanks to recent posters on radsafe about radiation doses acquired while

travelling through the Van Allen belt.  Perhaps our first 1 - 2 month duration

(one way) spacecraft to Mars should be an un-manned spacecraft, fitted with

many photon, neutron/hadron and charged particle detectors, which transmit the

data back to Earth.

     Enjoy your weekend!!!!

                                                               Joe Preisig,

Ph.D.

- --part1_93.8a2eab0.27ed84c5_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hi radsafers:

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;From: jpreisig@aol.com.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I made a serious error in one of my recent (fission based???) space

<BR>propulsion radsafe messages, so here is a correction.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;When one goes from chemical propulsion (eV --- i.e. electron Volt

<BR>reactions)

<BR>to fission propulsion (MeV --- i.e. Million electron Volt reactions), one

<BR>gains

<BR>a factor of x10**6 (i.e. 1000 x 1000) in propulsion potential. &nbsp;All of a

<BR>sudden,

<BR>fission propulsion (and/or fusion propulsion) look much better

<BR>than &nbsp;chemical propulsion (even with the losses involved).

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm not saying UFO's are actually out there, but imagine this factor of

<BR>(1000 x 1000) actually driving a flying aircraft. &nbsp;No wonder fission driven

<BR>aircraft can move so quickly and can make turns so rapidly. &nbsp;Most of our

<BR>aircraft (that we are familiar with) are chemically propelled, so that's why

<BR>we

<BR>are used to more slowly moving aircraft that make such gradual turns.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Again fission-based propulsion systems don't have to be 100% efficient

<BR>to be

<BR>useful. &nbsp;Chemical propulsion systems are not 100 % efficient.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As an aside, the scientists from Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (PPPL),

<BR>have

<BR>on their web-site some information about Hall Thrusters, which has to do

<BR>with fusion propulsion. &nbsp;My only knock on fusion drives is all the neutrons

<BR>around. &nbsp;Check out the PPPL web-page.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks to recent posters on radsafe about radiation doses acquired while

<BR>travelling through the Van Allen belt. &nbsp;Perhaps our first 1 - 2 month duration

<BR>(one way) spacecraft to Mars should be an un-manned spacecraft, fitted with

<BR>many photon, neutron/hadron and charged particle detectors, which transmit the

<BR>data back to Earth.

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Enjoy your weekend!!!!

<BR>

<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Joe Preisig,

<BR>Ph.D.

<BR>

<BR>

<BR></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_93.8a2eab0.27ed84c5_boundary--