German nuke waste train rumbles across France

German nuke waste train rumbles across France

PARIS, March 26 (Reuters) - A high-security freight train shipping

nuclear waste back to Germany rumbled across northern France almost

unnoticed on Monday, in contrast to the protests expected once it

crosses the border before midnight.

The train, made up of six flatcars carrying massive Castor containers

with the nuclear waste and passenger cars fore and aft packed with

police, left a Normandy train terminal before dawn under the watchful

eyes of only a dozen demonstrators.

Police reported no incidents by midday as it passed near Amiens and

said the 1,500 police guarding the train along the way should have no

problem if any protests arose.

"We have deployed a significant surveillance force to make sure the

cards are stacked in our favour," a spokesman said.

There were no signs of anti-nuclear demonstrators near the railway

border crossing at Lauterbourg, where the nuclear transport was due

to enter Germany at 2200 GMT on Monday night.

Along the route to the Gorleben waste storage site in northern

Germany, police said fewer protesters were camping out waiting for

the train than organisers had hoped.

"I am very relaxed because the protest potential...is clearly below

their own expectations," said Hans Reime, leading the police

operation based in Lueneburg.

French anti-nuclear activists said they planned protests later in the

day as the train passed through Bar-le-Duc and Nancy in eastern

France.

SIGNAL FLARE BEFORE DAWN

Protesters fired a red signal flare into the pre-dawn sky as the

train, the first sent to Germany since March 1998, left Valognes near

the La Hague reprocessing centre along the Channel at 6:46 a.m. (0446

GMT). "La Hague - the garbage can is overflowing," read a banner they

held up.

"We're not here to block the convoy because we think it's normal that

the waste should go back to where it came from," said Frederic

Marillier of the environmental group Greenpeace.

"But we want to denounce this return because it opens the door to

trains coming from the other direction."

"This will lead to more German waste coming to France," said

Greenpeace France official Jean-Luc Thierry. "We want each country to

manage its own waste. This traffic (in waste) in Europe shows they

don't know what to do with it."

The last shipments to the controversial storage facility at Gorleben,

south of Hamburg, in 1997 sparked pitched battles between police and

anti-nuclear militants.

Fears of radioactive leaks aboard the transport trains prompted

Germany to halt shipments in 1998. The French reprocessing agency

Cogema says all the containers now meet international safety

standards.

Green Environment Minister Juergen Trittin, who himself used to

protest in Gorleben before taking office in 1998, says Germany is

obliged to take back the waste but a long-term plan to end nuclear

power has been agreed.

More than 10,000 demonstrators massed in Lueneburg, near Gorleben, on

Saturday to protest against the transport. About 400 farmers in their

tractors did the same on Sunday.

Some 15,000 policemen have been drafted in.

BORDER CROSSING BEFORE MIDNIGHT

The closely watched train will lumber across northern France during

the day and leave the border station at Lauterbourg, north of

Strasbourg, at 11 p.m. (2100 GMT) to enter Germany at Woerth south of

Karlsruhe.

It will then advance under heavy police protection to northern

Germany, reaching Dannenberg by Tuesday evening where the so-called

Castor containers will be transferred to trucks to take them to

Gorleben on Wednesday.

Castor is the English acronym for Cask for Storage and Transport of

Radioactive Material. The six containers are carrying 168 canisters

with waste packed in borosilicate glass to contain its radioactivity,

according to Cogema.

Trittin, who negotiated last year's deal for the gradual withdrawal

from nuclear energy, appealed to anti-nuclear activists to avoid the

violence of earlier protests.

"My message to them is to do what they have promised, namely to

demonstrate peacefully," he said in a radio interview.

Defending his absence, he said; "I don't think that it would help

calm anything if the person whose job it was to authorise these

transports were to be there -- on the contrary."

Sandy Perle                                     Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical                             Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service         Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.                       E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue           E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net