Re: uranium in urine analysis

Radsafers,

I can understand Franz's concern.  You are talking uranium intake in water

of up to 9 mg/l, and there is bound to be further concentration in the body

fluids.  If I am not mistaken,  3 mg/l was regarded as a maximum

sustainable uranium excretion rate in urine, whereas 10 mg/l would lead to

rapid kidney damage and failure.  The lethal body burden of dissolved

uranium is supposedly 1 mg/kg of body mass (70 - 100 mg total for an

adult).   That 'water' is poison.

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za

You wrote:

                    "Franz Schoenhofer"

                    <franz.schoenhofer@CHEL        To:     "Charp, Paul" <pac4@cdc.gov>, "Radsafe

                    LO.AT>                         (E-mail)" <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                    Sent by:                       cc:     (bcc: Christoph Hofmeyr/CNS1)

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     Re: uranium in urine analysis

                    erbilt.edu