Re: uranium in urine analysis

At 10:59 PM 3/27/01 +0200, Dov Brickner wrote:

>In fact uranium absorbed to the bloodstream will  move to the extracelluar

>space. Then about 50-60% are cleared rather rapidly by the urine , 15-20%

>are retained in the kidneys this fraction may lead to kidney damage), and

>about  20% are retained in the bones. (This is the ICRP-30 uranium model,

>newer models do not differ significantly for this disscussion). I don't see

>where the U will be "further concentrated.

March 27, 2001

Davis, CA

Since the retention half-time for uranium in bone is quite long, the

uranium concentration in the bone will continue to increase over time with

daily ingestion in contaminated water until it reaches some equilibrium

level after several years and this will result in higher average

concentrations in other tissues including blood and kidneys, although the

main concentrating effect is in the bone.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140