Re: Latest from Sternglass

At one point Sternglass claimed:

> The partial meltdown in 1979 at Pennsylvania nuclear plant Three Mile

Island,

> which released radiation into the air, resulted in the premature deaths

of

> about 50,000 people, Dr. Sternglass said, despite the government's claim

that

> no one died as a result of the accident.

Notice the qualitative 'apples and oranges' comparison - "premature deaths"

vs. "died as a result of the accident".  I suspect some of the alleged

50,000 people also ate peanut butter sandwiches.  If so, that also resulted

in their premature deaths (by 1 day for a person eating 1 tbsp of peanut

butter per day, according to B.L. Cohen, Health Physics, 61, 1991, p.317).

As for the 50,000 number, compare that to John Gofman's statement in

"Poisoned Power, The Case Against Nuclear Power Plants Before and After

Three Mile Island" (1979), "The number of premature deaths caused by the

Three Mile Island accident will be no fewer than six. The number could

easily be 60, or 600, for the doses could well be 100 times higher than the

government estimates."

It seems that the number of estimated premature deaths grows by one or two

decades every decade.  Thus in forty to fifty years it's possible that

everyone in the United States living during the Three Mile Island accident

will have died prematurely.  ;-)

Rick Strickert

Austin, TX

Chunky peanut butter eater