RE: Mad Cow Disease

Richard Rhodes wrote an interesting book on this subject titled "Deadly

Feasts".  His understanding is that the protein is the same as one found in

the brain but in a different geometric configuration (i.e. unfolded).  I do

not know how accurate his analysis is but I respect his writing and research

on other subjects that I do know more about ("The Making of the Atomic Bomb"

and "Dark Suns").  As I remember it the problem is that the normal proteins

in the brain are changed to the new configuration by some mechanism and that

this change is what damages the brain tissue.

A. Joseph Nardi

Supervisory Engineer

Environment, Health and Safety

Westinghouse Electric Company