Re: Commissioner Dicus speaks on the public's perception about Radiat ion Protection

> It is ironic that the public might feel better about a

> scenario that would be inherently much more risky than current nuclear power

> options.

Not at all. It's called human nature. Commissioner Dicus was right on

target in her talk. Those who oppose anything to do with the nuclear

option for the most part are opposed because they "fear" it. The

probability of an incident is not the key factor. The key factor is

their perception of the risk. This has been validated in many

surveys. The true risks compared to the perceived risks do not

correlate. Yet the perception and fear is real.  I would venture to

guess that this is true of all people. How many people still fear

swimming in the ocean, let alone several miles out, due to the

perceived fear of a shark attack? The reality is that there is very

little probability of an attack, unless the individual is in known

shark territorial waters, yet people fear the ocean in total. Those

opposed to nuclear are no different. It's all human nature.

Sandy Perle                                     Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical                             Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service         Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.                       E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue           E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net