RE: " animal burial "

Apologies if this is a repeat - the server said it didn't go out.

Sterilization was a poor choice of words.  Indeed, sufficient heat,

pressure, or chemical action will denature proteins.

What I meant to refer to were the temperatures involved in cooking, canning,

and pasteurization; and preservation by irradiation.

I have heard that there is a possibility of prions 'surviving' autoclaving

undenatured, but I don't have a reliability check on that data.  On the

other hand, the process of heat, chemical action and purification used in

extracting gelatin from meat byproducts is recognized to be sufficient to

eliminate risk from that pathway.

Sorry if I implied something I didn't mean.

Dave Neil    neildm@id.doe.gov

I fed some lemon to my cat and now I have a sour puss.