Rio Tinto Considering Jabiluka Uranium Project Amid Protests

Rio Tinto Considering Jabiluka Uranium Project Amid Protests

Canberra, March 14 (Bloomberg) -- Rio Tinto Group said it's

considering developing its Jabiluka project, the third biggest

uranium deposit, amid protests from environmentalists and Aboriginal

groups.

Rio, the second-largest mining company, has said it will try to sell

its interest in Jabiluka in the Northern Territory, and said today it

had received approaches. Still, the London-based company said an

environmental assessment of the project is continuing.

``We are quite capable of running mining operations profitably and

with sensitivity to the environment and the people involved,'' Rio

Tinto's Chief Executive Leigh Clifford told ABC Radio's AM Program.

Rio controls the mine through a 68.4 percent stake in Energy

Resources of Australia Ltd. ERA has been trying for more than four

years to win approvals to develop Jabiluka, located next to the

Kakadu National Park, amid protests by environmentalists and

Aborigines, the traditional owners of the 79 square kilometer (50

mile) mining lease.

Last month, Rio said it expected to decide by March 31 whether to

dispose of its stake in ERA, the third-biggest uranium miner, which

it acquired through its A$3 billion ($1.5 billion) acquisition of

Melbourne-based North Ltd. last year. Sydney-based ERA has a market

value of about A$458 million.

The sale of the Rio stake in Jabiluka has been linked with bids from

Cogema SA, a French state-controlled uranium miner and processor of

nuclear fuel, and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based Cameco Corp., North

America's biggest uranium miner.

Potential Sale

``We have certainly had approaches from other players about

potentially selling it, but ... we have to look at the economics of

that whole project,'' Clifford said.

``We are pretty proud of our record in terms of running mining

operations and some of them have been in quite unusual environments

and we are satisfied that any operation we decide to retain, we can

hold our head up high.''

Still, the company is under no pressure to decide whether to sell or

develop Jabiluka, particularly as mining is continuing at ERA's

Ranger uranium mine, located 22 kilometers from Jabiluka, said Rio

spokesman Ian Head.

``Rio Tinto is still assessing the future of the Jabiluka project as

part of a review process,'' Head said.

Australian Greens party Senator Bob Brown said in November that

selling the stake in ERA to an overseas company would be unpopular

because a foreign owner may be less sensitive about environmental and

Aboriginal concerns.

Sandy Perle                                     Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical                             Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service         Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.                       E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue           E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net