Alpha Decay Question

A question was posed to me by an RCT student and I did not have a good

answer for him.  The question was "What happens to the two excess electrons

following an alpha decay?"  I never really thought about it but assume the

two electrons migrate into the surrounding media until they "find a home" .

Is there a better answer I should provide?  Any thoughts would be

appreciated.

Dan Hoffman