RE: Alpha Decay Answer

March 16, 2001

Davis, CA

During alpha decay the recoiling nucleus is stripped of some electrons and

ends up ionized. Not only does it lose the "excess" electrons, it is

stripped of others as well. Those lost stray electrons are free to

associate with neighboring atoms providing them with excess electrons,

perhaps leading to an net electrostatic charge, depending on the orbital

dynamics of those atoms, or transferring charge, depending on conductivity.

When the alpha comes to rest it picks up two stray electrons and becomes a

neutral helium atom. Helium from alpha decay provides the helium in the

earth's mantle that we harvest and use for party balloons. Without alpha

decay I think there would be precious little helium on the earth.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140