April BWCHPS and AIHA Joint Meeting

Thursday, 26APRIL2001

BWCHPS and AIHA Joint Meeting at NASA/Goddard

                        Hazards and Control of Beryllium

                                       By

                               Paul Wambach, CIH

                              Industrial Hygienist

                              Department of Energy

                         at the NASA Recreation Center

The Department of Energy has been operating a medical surveillance program

for current and former beryllium workers since 1991.  The program has used a

medical test called a beryllium lymphocyte proliferation test to identify

cases of chronic beryllium disease and beryllium sensitization.  To-date

over 20,000 beryllium workers have been examined and over 160 cases of

chronic beryllium disease have been identified.  Another 400 cases of

beryllium sensitization have been identified indicating that these

individuals are at high risk for getting chronic beryllium disease in the

future.  This experience provides insights on the role medical surveillance

can have in health risk management.  It also provides lessons learned on the

limitations of health standards, exposure measurement, and control in

managing health risks when susceptibility plays a large role in determining

who will get disease.

Cost:

Members/Nonmembers: $17.00

Members/Nonmembers: $20.00

Schedule: 26APR01

Social Hour: 6:00 to 6:45 p.m.

Dinner   : 6:45 to 7:30 p.m.

Speaker: 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Menu:

Entree selections include:  Shrimp, Prime Rib, or Vegetarian Pasta.

Reservations:

Due to security restrictions, ALL ATTENDEES MUST PRE-REGISTER BY COB

4/20/01!

Please e-mail your reservation to tjohnson@usuhs.mil or if you have no email

access, call

Tom Johnson at 301-319-6953.

Directions:

>From Capital Beltway (I-495) North: Exit 23, Route 193 E.

>From Capital Beltway (I-495) South: Exit 22A, Route 193 E.

>From Balt-Wash. Parkway (I-295): Exit to Route 193 E.

Pass the NASA main gate, and turn left onto Soil Conservation Road. Turn

right at the

first gate. You will need to show ID to the guard. Continue on this road

until you reach the rec. center on the right.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane