question about Vatican broadcasting

Perhaps some RADSAFER  -- especially perhaps a European one -- could answer a
question that came up this morning in an article about the power of the
Vatican radio and TV transmitter.  In the US, we measure RF transmitter power
in watts, but according to this article, in Europe, this power is expressed
in volts/meter.  Now, if I remember my elecricity and magnetism correctly, 1
watt = 1 joule/sec = 1 volt-coulomb/sec = 1 volt-ampere.  So my question is:
why "volts/meter", what are the "meters" referred to here, and how does this
relate to watts?  Is this perhaps because all the European countries do not
have the same voltage and/or current available (though I don't know why that
would have anything to do with it)?

Thanks in advance

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com