Update on radon poll

I want to update and thank those that took the time to respond to my request

on the radsafe and amrso bulletin boards.  I received 15 responses from

universities with radon monitoring programs. Below is my questions followed

by a summary of the results.

1. Do you have a program to measure and mitigate radon?  If not, why not.

Seven (7) institutions said that they have current monitoring programs.

Three (3) have discontinued programs because earlier  measurements indicated

that they had no radon problems. Five (5) institutions indicated that they

have no radon monitoring programs.

2. If so, do you make measurements in resident halls?

Of the 10 institutions that have or had programs, 9 included resident halls.

The 10th monitored only day care centers and a hospital on campus.

3. For resident halls, do you use a guideline other than the EPA limit of 4

pCi/l for Rn-222. (e.g., NCRP-91 guideline of 2 WLM per year or about 8

pCi/l).

All institutions with programs use 4 pCi/l.

4. For the workplace do you use EPA guidelines or occupational limits as

defined by OSHA. (We have a consultant that has recommended that

concentrations of less than 7.5 pCi/l (Rn-222) averaged over one year need

not be mitigated.  He based it on the definition of airborne radioactivity

area in the OSHA standard.  My understanding is that 10 CFR regulations in

effect in 1971 still apply under OSHA regulations).

All institutions with programs use 4 pCi/l

Other comments:

1. One university provided the following comment concerning new

construction:

For new construction, a soil gas and radium measurement are required as part

of the site investigations.  If the radon potential is high, a passive radon

mitigation system is required - basically a mat is placed below the slab and

pvc pipes are run to the roof with provision for a blower to be added later

if necessary.  Radon levels are checked prior to bldg occupancy.

2. A university that has performed 1200 individual tests since 1988 in 250

buildings provided the following comment:

Initially, we used the EPA residential criteria and recommendations to

prioritize buildings for additional investigation or mitigation. Typical

follow-up actions have been additional testing (to confirm annual average

radon concentrations and evaluate seasonal fluctuations), installation of

small ventilation fans, evaluation of building HVAC systems, and

installation of radon mitigation systems.

Lately, our focus has been more on follow-up testing than mitigation.  It's

partly because we want to make sure that mitigation is warranted rather than

acting on a one-time test result.  Another factor is that we've used up the

state funding the state gave us several years ago for use on radon, and the

operating units are trying to figure out how to fund additional work.

Where mitigation systems were installed (office buildings, classroom

buildings, residences, and dorms), our follow-up testing has shown that the

systems and ventilation fans have been effective in reducing radon

concentrations.  Ongoing maintenance of the systems can be a challenge.

Danny Anglin, Radiation Safety Officer

Vanderbilt Environmental Health & Safety

Danny.anglin@vanderbilt.edu

Phone:  615-343-0761

Fax:  615-343-4951

U-0211 MCN