Symposium on Mixed and Low-Level Radioactive Waste

Dear Colleague:

Symposium on Mixed and Low-Level Radioactive Waste

Marriott Cincinnati Northeast, Mason, OH; Thursday, May 17, 2001

We are pleased to invite you to a special meeting, sponsored by the

International Isotope Society (IIS), and the IIS Low Level

Radioactive Waste (LLRW) committee. The meeting will include speakers

from regulatory, university and other research

institutions. Their talks will focus on the current status of

regulatory issues and treatment technology for mixed and low-level

radioactive waste, especially related to pharmaceutical and

biomedical research. The primary focus of the meeting will be waste

containing tritium or carbon-14.

The meeting will be held at the Marriott Cincinnati Northeast, in Mason,

Ohio, on May 17, 2001. Registration and continental

breakfast will begin at 7:30 a.m. The presentations will start at 8:00

a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m. Please note that this is a distinct

and separate function from the IIS 14th Central US Meeting which you

might be attending. The regular IIS scientific program

will commence at 4 p.m. after the Mixed and LLR Waste Symposium. To

attend the "Symposium on Mixed and Low-Level

Radioactive Waste", please complete the appropriate section of the

attached registration form and return it. The registration fee

of $80.00 includes morning and afternoon refreshments and a buffet lunch

on May 17.

The difficulties associated with managing mixed waste have had a

significant negative impact on our type of work, and are

greatly influencing the future health of life sciences research with

radioisotopes. Similarly the unpredictable LLRW picture has

caused projects to be curtailed or terminated. We hope that this meeting

will provide up-to-date information on regulatory issues

and technology for dealing with the challenges of these problems. We are

looking forward to a very stimulating symposium and

your help in developing a

sensible solution to two major industry problems. Please contact Philip

Williams at 510-486-7336 <PGWilliams@lbl.gov> or

Larry Weaner at 215-628-5604 <LWeaner@prius.jnj.com> if you have

questions.

A registration form, symposium announcement and tentative agenda may be

dowloaded from:

http://home.pacbell.net/pgwillia/cincinnati/index.html

Thank you.

Philip G. Williams.

P.S.  If you receive more than one copy of this message, please alert me

to that fact by replying to the offending messages c/-

PGWilliams@lbl.gov.

[RadSafe].

--

*  Dr. Philip G. Williams                      *  Mailstop 75-123      *

*  Co-Principal Investigator                   *                       *

*  National Tritium Labelling Facility         *  510/486-7336: Voice  *

*  E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory  *  510/486-4877: Fax    *

*  One Cyclotron Road                          *                       *

*  Berkeley, CA 94720, U.S.A.                  *  PGWilliams@LBL.GOV   *

*  World Wide Web . . .  http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-Programs/NTLF/         *

*  A NIH Supported Resource Center  ***  A DOE National User Facility  *

begin:vcard

n:Case;James

tel;pager:(510) 448-3897

tel;fax:(510) 486-4776