Schneeberg Study Criticisms

Dear Jim,

in your last mail to radsafelist you brought to attention an article about the

German Health Spa in Schlema. Schlema belongs to our study area. It is very

close to Schneeberg and has a population highly exposed to indoor radon in the

past.

Your problems with the Schneeberg Study:

1. Retrospective cases (and controls)

Cases went back to the 1950s. (The study area with high indoor radon exposure

has a small population only - about 25.000 for Schneeberg and Schlema together.

To collect a significant number of non-smoking female cases you cannot rely on

incident cases to conduct a risk analysis. Therefore the approach with

retrospective cases was needed). These cases where collected from the local

cancer registry. As you can see from our final report controls where collected

from the same source with cancer illness with no known radon or smoking effect,

which is different from lung cancer and free from metastases in the lung (see

2.2 Definition of cases and controls).

Due to the high quality of the East German Cancer Registry (validated after

reunification) the approach with retrospective cases is justified. The cancer

cases where interviewed at the time of diagnosis in the local cancer registry

collecting in unchanged forms from 1952 to 1998 all biographical information

plus smoking behaviour, exposure at the workplace, results from medical

diagnosis with type of cancer, histology etc. Only when questions for example

regarding smoking where skipped, than next of kin had to be interviewed.

2. Radon exposure cases vs controls

The radon levels in the homes of cases and controls where measured for 30 years

before diagnosis of cancer by one year measurements (see 3.2 Dosimetry - Radon

gas measurements). For a subsample retro measurements where conducted (surface

activity of glass sheets using Po-210 detectors by the Uni Gent/Belgium). The

actual radon measurements could be validated by this method, confirming the

stability of exposure levels over long time periods.

3. Power

The power in the exposure category of about 150 Bq/m³ is of course lower than

over all catagories combined. (For more details see 4.2 Study power and 5.2 The

influence of smoking on risk estimation). Besides future inclusion of more cases

from the extended study area to increase confidence and power - non-smoking

males and females - our argument regarding power in the lower exposure

categories goes as follows (in the mean time):

When the risk estimations in miners and population studies that claim a lung

cancer risk from low radon levels are true than the Schneeberg Study must have

confirmed such results with a high enough power. This is not the case. So it is

assumed that the results from the other studies confirming LNT might not be

valid.

4. Exposure categorisation

In our study protocol no exposure categories where predetermined. When I

mentioned that other categories where tried than published, it was just a

response to your proposal to try three categories only to enhance cases per

exposure category. The influence of even categories was tested in our final

report (see table 19 Distribution of the probationers by percentiles of the

cumulative radon exposure and OR) with no deviation from the overall results in

table 17 and 18.

5. Comparability of controls

>From radon measurements in the study area prior to the Schneeberg study we found

a dependency of the indoor radon levels from birth cohorts. Older probationers

had a greater probability to be highly exposed to radon than younger

probationers. This is due to the fact that older probationers lived more

frequent in the old part of the town (with very old houses) and younger

probationers in the newly build part of the town after unranium mining started

after WW II. To prevent an exposure bias the two categories of controls where

introduced.

Best regards, Karl