Re: Global warming (was: Chernobyl population will continue... )

Years ago someone proposed that ice ages were caused in part by our

solar system moving through areas with greater concentrations of dust &

other cosmic debris, effectively cutting off a significant fraction of

sunlight.  I'm not sure if this theory had much support, or if it is

taken seriously now, but it has a certain plausibility.  If true, I

expect that such influences would swamp any effect from human activity.

Maybe someone out there knows more, specifically whether changes in

solar radiation, cyclic or not, are factored into the models used to

estimate global warming.

Tony Harrison

>>> Dimiter Popoff <tgi@bulnet.bg> 04/25/01 07:57AM >>>

Does anyone know how (if?) the Solar energy output measured on Earth

varies over time? Could it be the global warming is just a result of

increased Sun activity and all the rest has been talk?

BTW, I am not  saying we don't have to reduce CO2 emissions - we are

likely to need to breathe for some time to come - I just wonder if

anyone would know these particular figures.

Chris Hofmeyr provided some very interesting ones so far.

Curious,

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff

Transgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria

http://transgalactic.freeyellow.com

Email: tgi@bulnet.bg, tgi_earth@yahoo.com

Phone: 00359/2/9923340, 00359/2/9805997, Fax: 00359/2/9540384

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.