Re: Testis cancer linked to ionizing radiation exposure.

At 02:57 AM 4/25/01 -0700, goldinem@SONGS.SCE.COM wrote:

>"Exposure to ionizing radiation increases the risk of a number of

>malignancies, including testis cancer, according to a study from the

>Radiation Protection Bureau, Ottawa (Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153:309-18). The

>average radiation dose for the 2,098 men in the study was 11.50

>millisieverts."

April 25, 2001

Davis, CA

Since the reported results are nonsensical, I would guess that this is a

typical death certificate study where there is no control for cigarette

smoking or any other risk factors, such as chemical exposures. Also, if

they looked at 40 different types of cancer, we would expect statistical

significance to occur in 1 to 3 types of cancer by pure chance at the 95%

confidence level.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140