Re: Melanie Phillips, global warming, and a strange inconsistency

Being an earth scientist who actually studied climate change, I'll jump

in here.

>From my understanding of the current science, we are indeed seeing

global warming.  There does seem to be a human-induced component, but

much of the trend may be "natural."  Carbon dioxide may not be the most

important greenhouse gas, but it does have a contribution.

The question really is "Should we be concerned about global warming?" To

this, my answer is YES.  Sea level has been rising steadily over the

past few centuries, and if the trend continues we will have massive

costs associated with protecting coastal developments.  Further, the

models predict more severe weather in middle latitudes.  These effects

will impose economic burdens on governments all over the world and

contribute to human suffering.

Whether or not global warming is caused by man, we need to be concerned

about it and look for ways to slow or reverse it.  If nuclear energy

helps, that's great.  I think a better argument for nuclear power is

that burning coal releases huge amounts of toxic (and radioactive)

pollutants and contributes the the widespread destruction of landscapes,

streams, and groundwater.

Of course all this could be rendered moot next time we have a massive

volcanic eruption.  We could then worry about another "Little Ice Age"

with accompanying crop failures and widespread famine.

My personal opinion only.

Susan Gawarecki

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net