Re: The Precautionary Principle

>Any thoughts on this principle?

I have seen it applied to the EMF issue in Sweden. Sometimes the actions

caused are trivial (like moving a table two meters/seven feet), sometimes

the actions lead to unnecessary hysteria and VERY high costs (we have a case

in Sweden where one powerline company now is threatened by av 50000 USD (500

000 SEK) fine if they don't move a certain private house). Moving

powerlines: Add two more zeroes for the cost! The precautionary principle is

often misunderstood: Suppose that an exposure level of some unit is 1000

(read microtesla) and you don't see an effect (like cancer). Next step: Take

action to reduce 0.3 of that unit to 0.2. What happens? Non-science oriented

people will believe that 0.2 is safer and that 0.3 is (often much) riskier.

Then everyone talks about 0.2 as the "limit" and it becomes almost an

established "fact" as safe vs. unsafe.

As TV a entertainment perception amplification show the focus is on 140

nanotesla (sounds like a bacilla - invisible - can jump onto you - and do

terrible things to your children) as high and may be even 25 may be risky.

Make pico out of it and it can be sold to most of our political parties.

According to my opinion, the precautionary principle, if applied (I am very

sceptical) must be very as "clearly" explained as possible in terms of

fear/perception terms. Unfortunately it often seems like those who have a

high brain stem/brain cortex work ("emotional divided by logic" - sorry

about the lack of units...) ratio are those who are the least likely to

understand reasoning of the kind "we are doing this to you because we

understand that you are worried and we want to be nice to you". This is

_not_clear_ to many - moving a powerline will be a "proof" that it is/was

dangerous.

To put all this differently: If none of the Hill's nine criteria for

cause-effect are met - I would trash the application of the precautionary

principle ASAP. It is very different if there is a reasonable "risk" based

on mechanisms that are more than hypothetical and therefore can be

understood to some degree and perhaps even studied.

My personal reflections only (definitely time to sleep in Stockholm),

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com