Re: Global warming (was:Chernobyl " population will continue to slidetoward extinction ")

Jaro, Ted & Radsafers,

Sorry, Jaro, I only joined after the 'hijack'!  Ted,  I checked the million

tonnes natural U3O8, and with typical PWR burnup the yield would only be

about 0.5Q (thermal).  Breeders can change this picture dramatically;

another reason why 'spent ' fuel is a valuable resource which should not be

disposed of irretrievably.

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za

You wrote:

                    Ted de Castro

                    <tdc@XRAYTED.COM>              To:     Christoph Hofmeyr

                    Sent by:                       <Christoph_Hofmeyr@nnr.co.za>

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        cc:     radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    erbilt.edu                     Fax to:

                                                   Subject:     Re: Chernobyl " population will

                                                   continue to slide toward extinction "

                    2001/04/25 15:42

                    Please respond to Ted

                    de Castro

Thanks for some real numbers HOWEVER I am a bit skeptical of the last

one!  ALL generated power that does not go into making a chemical bond

(that is not later undone) or assists in a phase change that is stable

at ambient - eventually ends up as waste heat!  And with 1 kiloton =

4.18 E12 a "Q" is about 1/2 kilo-megaton - and I would think THAT much U

would be good for a whole lot more than that!

Just a feeling.

Christoph Hofmeyr wrote:

> RADSAFERS,

> Somehow this theme has taken the more interesting sidetrack of the great

> CO2 debate.  Ted is right,   "There is no point in debating this -

someone

> somewhere MUST know the numbers!!".

> I have a slightly dated summary, which should get the order of magnitude

> right. The big energy moguls have defined  a rather large unit 1Q = 10^21

> Joule.  Solar insolation is pretty abundant:  14Q hits the earth per day.

> Worldwide energy consumption is only 0.3Q approx per year (OK, that was

20

> years ago, so let us presume 0.5Q).  That is rather insignificant (one

> ten-thousandth). So the whole debate actually turns around a balance.  If

> the earth does not get rid of the 14Q (plus the radioactive decay heat

> (figure?)) per day, it would tend to heat up, and the so-called

greenhouse

> gases like CO2 and methane (actually orders more effective) and others

come

> into play, upsetting the very fine balance just a bit.  That is

> (human-assisted) global warming by SOLAR (sorry, Greens).  Other

> interesting stats: total estimated coal reserves worldwide were given as

> 300Q, oil only 12Q.  If used in inefficient thermal reactors (the present

> types) one million tonnes of U3O8 is apparently good for only 1Q!

> Chris Hofmeyr

> chofmeyr@nnr.co.za

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.