>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:57:57 -0500

>From: "Watkins, Reuben" <watkins@sri.org>

>Subject: Fe-59

>We are proposing to perform some work with Fe-59 (1.0 mCi).  We currently

>work with C14, H3, and Cr51.  I was just wondering if there is anything

>different (safety wise) I need to keep in mind with Fe-59.  Any

>Reuben Watkins

>Southern Research Institute

Other than the fact that you had been working with weak beta emitters and a

low abundance, moderate energy gamma emitter (Cr-51) and are now going to a

high abundance, high energy gamma emitter that will require shielding and

Your RSO and radiation safety committee should be involved in writing a

radiation work plan to evaluate methods to minimize the dose to employees.

Erik C. Nielsen

Senior Radiochemist

Antech Ltd Waltz Mill Laboratory

P.O. Box 158, Bldg G, M/S 62