Re: Potassium Iodide Comments - Need some help

Jim,

My reading of the literature provides support for the contention that

Chernobyl

showed that there is indeed evidence demonstrating "...the relationship

between

inhaled or ingested radioiodines and thyroid cancer."

Specifically, from the 1999 World Health Organization (WHO) Guidelines for

Iodine Prophylaxis following Nuclear Accidents in regards to thyroid cancer in

children, they state both...

"Evidence of a marked excess of thyroid cancer in children exposed to the

fallout from the Chernobyl accident has been established (1– 10). In the

most affected area in Belarus, the yearly incidence has risen close to

100 per million children, which is more than 100-fold compared to the

situation before the accident. It is now generally accepted that this excess

has resulted from exposure to the radioactive iodine released in the accident."

...and...

"In general, the potential benefit of iodine prophylaxis will be greater in

the young,

firstly because the small size of the thyroid means that a higher radiation

dose is

accumulated per unit intake of radioactive iodine. Secondly, the thyroid of

the fetus,

neonate and young infant has a higher yearly thyroid cancer risk per unit dose

than the thyroid of an adult and, thirdly, the young will have a longer

time span for

the expression of the increased cancer risk."

Also, that...

"The Chernobyl accident has thus demonstrated that significant doses from

radioactive iodine can occur hundreds of kilometres from the site, beyond

emergency planning zones."

...and therefore...

"...that stockpiling (KI or KIO3) is warranted, when feasible, over much

wider areas

than normally encompassed by emergency planning zones, and that the

opportunity

for voluntary purchase be part of national plans."

This WHO document includes references, reviewing professionals and

organizations,

for all of the above and much more, that appears very comprehensive to this

layman.

The pdf version of this complete WHO document is at...

http://www.who.int/environmental_information/Information_resources/documents/Iodine/guide.pdf

An html version I put up for easier viewing by some is also here...

http://www.ki4u.com/WHO/guide_contents.htm

Best Regards,

Shane Connor, author of...

Potassium Iodide Anti-Radiation Pill FAQ

www.ki4u.com