Russian Reprocessing Spent Fuel

It now looks certain that Russia will start importing

spent nuclear fuel for reprocessing into new fuel for

nuclear reactors. One source indicated that they could

handle up to 2,200 tons of spent fuel per year and

another source indicated that within two years (after

expansion of their already large and old facilities)

they could handle up to 10,000 tons per year.  Which

ever is correct, Russia should now easily surpass

France as the largest reprocessor of spent nuclear

fuel. Are they willing to permanently take the fission

products too or will these be "returned to sender?"

I wonder if South Africa and China will follow this

lead in order to make a profit from Pu-239.

Perhaps the US doe not need Yucca Mtn. for SNM storage

or "disposal."  Maybe we should ship it to Russia

instead of money and credit "to periodically bail out

their economy?"

Could be alot of nuclear, health physics, chemical

engineering and environmental jobs in Russia in the

next decade or so.

Paul Shafer