RE: Op-Ed in International Herald Tribune

John and all.

Of course you are correct - I guess the real question is what are the acceptable limits, - are they retired early?  I do know that their missions are "spaced out".  Just think of the amount of radiation the endurance mission astronauts had taken.  Even the International space station and the shuttle were up and about when there was a huge solar flare.

There just does not seem to be anything abnormal - that this excess radiation is preferentially harming them.

                      Enjoy,

                         Tom

---

Tom Savin

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:54:55

 Jacobus, John (OD/ORS) wrote:

>Of course astronauts develop cancer.  And heart disease.  And strokes.  One

>of our astronauts, Allan Shepard, died recently of leukemia at the age of

>74.  It would be hard to do an epidemiological study of them as (1) the

>number is small, (2) most are still alive, and (3) some have died because of

>their life style, i.e., test pilots.

>-- John

>John Jacobus, MS

>Certified Health Physicist