UNDERGROUND REPOSITORIES NEEDED vs. ACTIVISTS UNITE AGAINST YUCCA MOUNTAIN

Both articles may be found in full at:

http://ens.lycos.com/ens/jun2001/2001L-06-11-09.html

UNDERGROUND REPOSITORIES NEEDED FOR NUCLEAR WASTES

WASHINGTON, DC, June 11, 2001 (ENS) - A report by the National

Academy of Sciences (NAS) says that countries should move forward with

the development of deep underground repositories for the safe storage

and disposal of spent fuel from nuclear reactors and other high level

radioactive waste.

The new report by an international committee of the academy's National

Research Council says four decades of study have determined that the

geological repository option is the only "scientifically credible, long

term solution for safely isolating waste" without having to rely on

active management.

"Difficulties in garnering public support have been seriously

underestimated, and opportunities to increase public involvement and to

gain trust have been missed," said committee chair D. Warner North,

president of NorthWorks Inc. in Belmont, California. "Waste management

programs around the globe should direct their efforts beyond technical

development to emphasize public participation in the decision making

process."

The committee noted that spent nuclear fuel and high level waste have

been kept at storage facilities on or near the Earth's surface since the

nuclear age began more than 50 years ago. But it said the amount of

waste, particularly spent fuel, is exceeding the current capacity of

existing facilities in many countries, and some storage sites have not

performed up to acceptable standards.

The full committee report is available at:

http://lab.nap.edu/catalog/10119.html

                  * * *

ACTIVISTS UNITE AGAINST YUCCA MOUNTAIN NUCLEAR DUMP

LAS VEGAS, Nevada, June 11, 2001 (ENS) - Activists from across the

country gathered Friday to voice solidarity with Nevada's struggle

against the proposed permanent nuclear waste repository at Yucca

Mountain.

"We are here to assure Nevadans that they have our support," said Lisa

Gue, policy analyst with Public Citizen in Washington, DC. "We will

continue to actively oppose the industry-driven scheme to make Yucca

Mountain into a high level nuclear waste dump."

Yucca Mountain, located about 100 miles northwest of Las Vegas, is the

only site now being studied for a permanent repository for the nation's

nuclear wastes. Last week, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

released final standards for the amount of radiation that would be

allowed to escape the site, bringing the proposal another step closer to

a reality.

"After 14 years of study, we are at a critical juncture in the Yucca

Mountain process," added Gue. "National groups are committed to working

closely with Nevadans and concerned citizens across the country to

defeat this dangerous and inherently flawed project."

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net