Re: U-235 in Natural Uranium

Leo

I don't know about the "normal variability" of the percentage of U235, but

bear in mind that the reactor at Oklo ran 2 x 10^9 years ago (" . . . for

on the order of 10,000 years").  The isotopic ratio was then in a state of

*enrichment*, not depletion, because the t1/2 of U235 is 7 x 10^8 y,

whereas that of U238 is 4.5 x 10^9 y.  That's why the reactor ran, with the

help of some moderating groundwater in the ore-bed.

You might try searching some of the DOE's lab websites, e.g., Oak Ridge,

Argonne, INEL, Battelle, the EML.

Break a leg

cja

PS.  I thought that the definition of DU was 0.35% U235.

PPS.  The quotation above is from (surprise!!): Eisenbud, M and Gesell, T.

Environmental Radioactivity, 4th ed., 1997.

PPPS.  Although physical evidence has only been found for the reactor in

West Africa, it's been estimated that there could have been 100 of them.