RE: Uncertainty in Radiation-Related Risk

> Does anyone know of a source of information or bio for Dr. Land?

He is the epidemiological guru for the US National Cancer Institute.  I'm

sure any standard biographical source, such as the internet or Who's Who,

will give you all the details you want.

I've heard him give very polished pitches on how, generically, epidemiology

can't possibly disprove the LNT.  He uses very simple linear math, dressed

up with a lot of equations.  Unfortunately for his argument, it presumes the

LNT, so what he has proved is that you can't disprove the LNT so long as the

LNT is valid.  I agree with that.  But he makes no effort to explain away

the great amount of good epidemiological data, such as the nuclear shipyard

workers study, that show conclusively that low-dose radiation is beneficial,

causing lower mortality from all causes, from all cancers, and from a number

of specific cancers tested.

These data are officially explained away as the "healthy worker effect," or

by selective screening or workers for radiation areas.  But the study

carefully avoided such pitfalls under a Technical Advisory Panel chaired by

Arthur Upton, the same person who chaired the BEIR-V report on LNT and the

NCRP-136 report on LNT issued Tuesday that disparage this data with invalid

generic comments that don't apply to the specific cases.

This is not honest science.

Ted Rockwell