Re: RADON IN BLUE RIDGE AMONG HIGHEST IN NATION

Colleagues -

Most folks at the state level who work in this area are well aware that most (we estimate around 90% in Georgia) of our groundwater systems would not be in compliance with a 300 pCi/l MCL for radon, and we told that to EPA in our comments on the proposed radionuclides in groundwater rules. My personal opinion is that EPA set the MCL at that level as a sort of thinly-veiled blackmail tactic to force states to develop a "Multi-Media Mitigation" (MMM) plan ... and if we do that, then EPA will "allow" us to use an alternate MCL of 4,000 pCi/l Rn-222 in groundwater. I've always thought it was kinda funny that EPA was using the Safe Drinking Water Act to reduce radon concentrations in air. Maybe it's just me ...

The opinions expressed in this e-mail belong to me alone ... nobody else would claim them.

Jim Hardeman

Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Raymond A. Hoover" <rayhoover@HOTMAIL.COM> 6/15/2001 13:17:54 >>>

It certainly looks that way.  What do you think the EPA will do?  Issue a

fine?