Radon

Studies at Oak Ridge a number of years ago revealed that the principal

source of atmospheric radon  is plowing of agricultural land, which

releases radon that has percolated into the soil.  Very likely this is

the largest cause of radon exposure of the population at large.

I recall that some years ago the atmospheric sensors in Sweden were set

off by radon released from the soil as snow cover melted in the north.

For a time it was thought that atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons

had been resumed, or that a large accident to a nuclear power plant had

taken place.  I believe that this phenomenon is now anticipated and

taken into account.