Re: Elaboration of Air Monitoring Problem

In the environment you state I would agree that a GM tube would be the

best detector.  We use a LARGE energy compensated GM tube for

environmental monitoring and it works quite well.  The tube has an

active area of 1 inch dia by 12 in length and is thus VERY sensitive.

The GM also does very well in an environment without heating or

cooling.  In fact two years ago we built a solar powered station that

had no heating or cooling BUT does sit under the shade of a tree (solar

panel 110 ft away in full sun).

The detectors were built for us by HPI and for the GM and a moderated

He3 detector - the system only draws 85 mA from 12 VDC - including the

datalogger (communications by RS-232).

This would be the high sensitivity tube.  The low sensitivity tube would

be easier and HPI has set that up for us too.

Using time to discharge technology would greatly enhance the upper range

of the high sensitivity tube - but I understand there are patent issues

with using this technology.