RE: Po-210 in tobacco

Radsafers, Ray, Kjell, Franz,

If rock phosphate is used unprocessed, you are probably right.

Concerning the radon impact of phosphate fertilizer, according to a

chemist, the uranium separates with the phosphate and the radium with

the calcium (gypsum) in the manufacture of fertilizer, so that radon in

the field from this source would be delayed by the slow growing back of

the radium (halflife 1600 y).   In the meantime,  the soluble uranium

would also tend to be taken up by the crops.  The radium content of

phospho-gypsum containing insoluble radium sulphate restricts its

potential uses in e.g. buildings due to radon emanation.

The dose rate from radon inhalation is taken as proportional to the

equilibration factor times the radon concentration, i.e. the latter

hardly contributes.  Only daughters down to Po-214 are considered (which

reach the 0.4 equilibrium within minutes).  Due to the 22.2y halflife of

Pb-210, it must have about a 100% chance of plating out before decay.

Remember, the radon concentration below ground is about 1000 times that

above, and there the whole decay chain has a chance to be in equilibrium

(several decades, due to the slow decays near the end).  The only

long-lived alpha-decay is Po-210, going to Pb-206, with a halflife long

enough to be seen in the processed leaf, so the uptake by tobacco

through the roots need not be particularly selective to be registered.

Am I missing something?

Regards, Chris Hofmeyr.

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za