RE: neutron radiation detection

Dear Radsafers,

I have no experience with neutron monitoring. So please excuse my ignorance.

I read somewhere that one can in an emergency use a bucket of water and a

gamma monitor (eg a NaI scintillometer) to determine whether there is or is

not neutron leakage from a suspect neutron sealed source or generator.

The context was emergency checking, out in the boondocks, of sources such as

are used for downhole probing of oil or water wells.

Is this a reasonable suggestion?

Mark Sonter