RE: Po-210 in tobacco

Jim,

I am talking from a situation where at least 10% of the population (i.e.

4 out of 40 million)is HIV positive, so the death rate from that is even

less of a joke (not my terminology, nor do I condone smoking).  I have

sympathy with your experience and empathy with your reaction, but for

the sake of rationality I should perhaps point out that examples can

usually be found to counter anecdotal evidence.  Think of the French

lady who died aged 122, having given up puffing at 120.  However, what

would interest me and is closer to the topic, is the possible

contribution of radioactivity in smoke to its carcinogenic potential.

In domestic radon studies, smoke seems such an overwhelming confounder,

that it seems to suggest that the most important factor in smoke is not

radioactivity (unless a very strong synergistic effect would be

present).

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za