RE: So, is reprocessing in America's future?

Ted,

You are correct in your assumption.  There were DOE and NRC efforts to define the

hazard of a terroist explosive attack on shipping casks and storage basins.  The result

was it would take a lot of explosives for very little dispersion.  See Sandia Report

SAND82-2365.TTC-0398, An Assessment of the Safety of Spent Fuel Transportation

in Urban Environs, Sandoval, et al.

Joe

7/8/01 3:20:23 PM, "Ted Rockwell" <tedrock@CPCUG.ORG> wrote:

>Ray:

>I don't think any amount of explosives would do a good job of dispersing

>fission products from spent fuel.  Think about it.  Sure, you could damage

>the cask and blow some large pieces of fuel around.  So you pick those up

>and get on with your life. Remaining contamination of the site would be

>minimal, and it would all be inside a controlled area anyway.  I can't see

>particles contaminating public air, land or water to any great degree.

>Yes, it would be a nuisance, but hardly a holocaust.  And it's so easy to do

>countless other ways, why would you choose the hard way to do so little?

>Ted Rockwell

>radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line.

Joe Alvarez, Ph.D., CHP

Auxier & Associates, Inc.

9821 Cogdill Rd. Suite 1

Knoxville, TN 32932