RE: 100 rad

July 9, 2001

Based on my own studies I expect that 100 rem exposure received at a low

dose rate over 20 years will result in little or no increase in cancer in

the population of people who were exposed. The ICRP linear model is invalid

for estimating cancer risk for these people because the dose response for

such protracted exposures is not linear.  In addition, risk estimates based

on collective dose are invalid because it is clear from studies of chronic

exposure that small doses do not yield effects that are proportional to

large doses. See Raabe, "Evidence against the linear, no-threshold theory

of radiation carcinogenesis," pp. 791-794 in RADIATION RESEARCH, Volume 2,

CONGRESS PROCEEDINGS, 11th International Congress of Radiation Research (M.

Moriarty, C. Mothersill, C Seymour, M. Edington, J.F. Ward, R.J.M. Fry,

Editors), International Association for Radiation Research, 2000.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140