Re: Graphite Quiz: Re: Chapelcross -(2)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Reynolds, Harold <Harold.Reynolds@RFETS.GOV>

An: 'Paul William Shafer' <paulwilliam_s@YAHOO.COM>; Emil Murat

<kerrembaev@YAHOO.COM>; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2001 16:56

Betreff: RE: Graphite Quiz: Re: Chapelcross -(2)

>Am I mistaken??  Wasn't it the graphite that burned in the Chernobly and

>Windscale fires?

Harry,

No, you are not mistaken. The burning graphite of Chernobyl sent for almost

two weeks all the nasty fission products and activation products up to about

1500 m, from where they were dispersed all over most parts of Europe and

traces were found as far as Taiwan. If there had not been graphite burning,

the fission products and plutonium would have only been dispersed in the

vicinity - I do not downplay its hazards in the vicinity of Chernobyl! - but

would have left the rest of the world unaffected and spared us the chaos and

the problems we have ever since encountered.

The public impact of Windscale was less, but remember that this happened

decades before Chernobyl and the impact would surely have been different at

the time of the Chernobyl accident!

Franz