Re: So, is reprocessing.../Chemicals vs. radiation

>Most any radiation effect can also be caused by something else and most

classes of toxins have their unique properties.

---

If we refer to DNA damage - the damage caused by chemicals can be more

specific - and perhaps sometimes (depending on the substancce) more

effective in inducing certain categories of mutations etc.

Another difference is that one usually has better control of where the

radioactivity is located - at least for gamma emitters (unless one uses

sampling techniques etc) as opposed to chemical contamination - if you smell

it - you are almost always "above" the occupational standards (limits).

Therefore I feel more unconfortable in labs with cytotoxic drugs, possible

DNA damaging (carcinogenic) chemical dust from substances like ethidium

bromide etc: You simply don't know where it may be. In this regard -

radiation is according to my opinion much nicer.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/