nuclear power and sustainable energy

Since subscribing to radsafe recently, I have read all of the e-mails distributed through the list.  I would now like to discuss some of the points raised, although with a slightly different focus.

While I have a belief that nuclear power could and should be used more widely within the world that we live in, I do not feel that this should prejudice the use of alternative means of generation.  Looking to the future i.e. many generations ahead.  The people of tomorrow will continue to require many of the valuable resources that we have today.   Even with the most optimistic predictions all of our primary fuels oils, coal, gas and uranium are finite.  It is my view that we should consider the needs of future generations in the choices that we make today.

One of the ways that we can conserve our primary fuels is to make use of the renewable resources that we have available to us today.  This does not mean that we should stampede headlong into solar, wind, wave, biomass generation.  However these should be evaluated and where it is cost effective used.  Many countries around the globe could generate a useful proportion of their electricity and heating using these methods.

The next area where we can improve today for others tomorrow is in energy conservation.  Where appropriate we should use all measures to conserve energy.  Using more fuel efficient transport, energy efficient lighting, better insulation materials, use of combined heat and power, etc.

Individuals can and should be encouraged, where the climate allows, to generate their own heating and electricity using solar panels or small wind generators.

I noted that in one recent e-mail gas powered generators were regarded as exceedingly inefficient, despite the fact that modern combined gas cycle plants can achieve a thermal efficiency of nearly 60%, far higher than the 30-35% of most nuclear plant.  The use of gas generation to supply electricity, or to power cars could allow the conservation of oil for the production of polymers and plastics that are an important part of modern life.

Nuclear power should be increased, but more work should be done to improve the use of the primary fuel, uranium, this could involve reprocessing, the use of fast breeder reactors or a return to investigating the thorium fuel cycle.  In addition we should not ignore the ongoing research into fusion.

I have deliberately avoided the debate on global warming.  It is a subject that I personally do not feel qualified to discuss.  The driving force for me is that the pollution produced by the use of fossil fuels is harmful in other ways, smog, acid rain etc.  The use of cleaner technologies, gas fired generation, LPG fuel for cars a switch to the use of renewable resources where appropriate, and the use of nuclear power will all improve the general environment that we live in.  The conservation of these resources through greater energy efficiency will also benefit the future generations of my (and everyone else's) family.  There really are things that we as individuals can do to improve both our quality of life and those of future generations regardless of our views on global warming or the Kyoto agreement.

Just in case there are some out there who think that I am far to altruistic.  There are other reasons for promoting a better energy mix and energy conservation.  These include amongst other things:
  • Security of energy supply, while the UK has reasonable oil reserves for the short term it is predicted that within the next twenty years (when the north sea oil/gas bubble has burst) we will have to import much if not all of our oil and gas.  Much of this will have to come from less stable parts of the world.  I would rather we became more self sufficient in our energy policy.
  • Simple economics, both in terms of family finance and national economy.  Energy efficiency will save manufacturers money, transport cost often being a significant proportion of the cost of products.  In addition personal energy efficiency will save me money as well.
  •  I enjoy living in a part of the world that is yet to feel the effects of much of the pollution.  I would like to be able to continue to enjoy the countryside that I live in.  (In recognition of other comments made recently, sources of renewable energy generation should be carefully sited so that they do not have a detrimental impact of areas of outstanding natural beauty)
I personally will continue to campaign for nuclear power, not just a continuation of the status quo but a sensible increase in current generating capacity.  However I feel that the cause of nuclear power mustn't be put forward as the panacea to all our energy needs, but rather an important component of a balanced energy policy.  I will also continue to take simple and straightforward steps to conserve energy and improve my bank balance.

I have tried to keep the subject of this posting as close as possible to issues that should be posted on the list.  The role of nuclear power and its relationship with other forms of generation being relevant to many who subscribe.  I am interested to hear the views of other list users, both on the content of this message and whether you believe the subject was one that should have been included.

Regards
    Julian Ginniver