Re: Article: A Nuke Train Gets Ready To Roll

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Jacobus, John (OD/ORS) <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>

An: RadSafe <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Dienstag, 24. Juli 2001 21:06

Betreff: Article: A Nuke Train Gets Ready To Roll

This article appeared in the print edition and on-line NEWSWEEK Web site.

The Web site also has a poll, "How do you feel about having spent nuclear

fuel transported by train," you can take at

http://www.msnbc.com/news/603339.asp.  The results, so far, are for 3992

I think it's OK. They seem to be taking the proper precautions and the

containers seem safe  64%

I don't like it. Transporting nuclear waste by train opens up risk of leaks

and sabotage  30%

I'm undecided  7%

-------

I have always wondered, what these polls are good for other than to tell the

politicians, what they should promise potential voters in order to win an

election.

----

Live Votes reflect respondents' views and are not scientifically valid

surveys.

So, what is this good for? Are we to evaluate the safety of a nuclear power

plant, of a transport of nuclear material, the safety of a car, the safety

of an electrical heater or a certain brand of meat concerning salmonella or

BSE by opinion polls? What do we have standards, regulations and legislation

for?

Franz