Re: Article: A Nuke Train Gets Ready To Roll

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: RuthWeiner@aol.com <RuthWeiner@aol.com>

An: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at <franz.schoenhofer@chello.at>;

jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2001 00:11

Betreff: Re: Article: A Nuke Train Gets Ready To Roll

>Sure they are "manipulated" -- so what?  The poll itself says that it is

not

>scientific.  It doesn't pretend to be.  However, it is an expression of

>SOMEONE's views.  It's about as good as letters to one's Member of

Congress.

>those also come from vocal minorities, and are stimulated by organizations

>that advertise "write your Congressman about..."   Having worked in

Congress,

>I can tell you that these come from  self-selected groups, just like these

>polls, but they are generally all (or most) that the member of Congress has

>by which to judge public opinion in his or her district.

Dear Ruth,

You write about current reality, I wrote about a (fictious) dream, when all

that nonsense and nuisance of opinion polls would collapse and when the

politicians would recognize the irrelevance of all these polls and start

making decisions which would be well founded and benefit their clientel. I

still believe that the safety of a nuclear power plant is not a matter of

public opinion ("Do you accept that the deadly nuclear power plant, which is

full of weapons grade depleted uranium, which could be stolen at any time

after being irradiated long enough by a person just walking into the power

plant, shutting off the reactor, retracting the nuclear fuel rods, loading

them into their Volkswagen Beetle, extracting the deadly plutonium in their

bathtube at home and machinering it into a nuclear bomb, which will be

ignited by a mixture of charcoal and sulfur, probably enhanced by potassium

chlorate - please note that potassium is highly radioactive - after having

been delivered by a home made cruise missile........, should continue

operations? If you answer "No" you will receive a chance to win a flight to

the Carribean, if you answer "yes"  we would like to advise you to leave

your home town immediately").  We know all too well, how these opinion polls

are structured - or should it be different in the USA from Europe? In Europe

opinion polls financed by the left parties are favourable for the left

parties, opinion polls financed by the right parties are always favouirable

for the right parties. What a strange coincidence!

That was it - no more comment on this subject from me on RADSAFE!

Best regards,

Franz