Re: A response to Jerry Cohen's reasonable request

----- Original Message -----

From: "Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow@PNL.GOV>

To: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Cc: "Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow@PNL.GOV>

Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 12:05 AM

Subject: A response to Jerry Cohen's reasonable request

SNIP

> I wasn't the one who raised the issue of 17,000+ scientists subscribing

> to the dissident position on global warming.  I merely pointed out that

> there is no way of telling which or how many of the non-fraudulent

> signatories of the petition are actually scientists.

> SNIP

>From the OISM website

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p357.htm

"Of the 19,700 signatures that the project has received in total so far,

17,800 have been independently verified and the other 1,900 have not yet

been independently verified. Of those signers holding the degree of PhD, 95%

have now been independently verified. One name that was sent in by enviro

pranksters, Geri Halliwell, PhD, has been eliminated. Several names, such as

Perry Mason and Robert Byrd are still on the list even though enviro press

reports have ridiculed their identity with the names of famous

personalities. They are actual signers. Perry Mason, for example, is a PhD

Chemist."

SNIP

> It was true in January 1998 that the 1979-

> 1997 MSU temperature record and radiosonde temperatures over the same

> time period showed the lower troposphere to be cooling slightly.  That

> quit being true sometime in the middle of 1998 and remains false to

> this day.

SNIP

What quit being true?   Did it quit being true that the 1979-

1997 MSU temperature record and radiosonde temperatures over the same

 time period showed the lower troposphere to be cooling slightly or did

later data (or data revision) show steady warming from 1979-1998 or some

other variation?  The necessity of changing the letter would seem to be

dependent on the details.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com

2910 Main St.

Perry OH 44081