RE: NRC interpretations? Security for one...

I have a copy of the original Federal Register announcement of the

implementation of 10 CFR 20, of may 21, 1991.  Under section VI. Summary of

Public Comments and Changes from Proposed Rule, Subpart I -- Storage and

Control of Licensed Material:

Comment:  Definition of "secure." . . .

Response:  The phase has been rearranged and now reads "secure from

unauthorized removal or access," which is similar to the wording in the Part

20.  This should provide clarification of what was intended by "secure."

Comment:  Unnecessary restrictions on research.  One commenter thought that

the requirement to secure small quantities of radioactive materials when

they are not in use would interfere with university research.

Response:  The Commission believes that locking radiotracer laboratories

when they are not being used is a small nuisance compared to the

consequences of unauthorized access to or theft of the radioactive

materials, which could result in contamination of unrestricted areas or

exposure of individuals, as well as having to report a loss of licensed

material to the NRC.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist