Re: radioactivity from fossil fuel power stations

Tom,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'd be interested in hearing

more about your method.

The variation in observable radioactivity might also be attributable to

different rock densities or different radionuclides.  I know that shales

can have a fairly high gamma signature on downhole logs, but it may be

due to something like K-40 within the structure of the clay mineral.

This would not be a radon source comparable to coal with U content of

several ppm.

Interestingly, the high mercury levels in coal are also found in the

high sulfur zones.

Regards,

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net