Re: mammography screening

Information about the mammography program in Manitoba, Canada is available at:

http://www.cancercare.mb.ca/MBSP/default.htm

Canada does not have national legislation comparable to the Mammography Qualtiy Standards Act (MQSA) in the US; however, the Canadian Organization of Medical Physics (website: http://www.medphys.ca/index.cfm) promulgates guidelines, for the proper use and testing of mammography equipment, that are widely followed in Canada.

Eric Cowdrey, M.Sc. (Physics)

Radiation Protection Officer

Department of Medical Physics

CancerCare Manitoba

675 McDermot Avenue

Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3E 0V9

Canada

Tel (204) 787-2166

Fax (204) 775-1684

mailto:Eric.Cowdrey@cancercare.mb.ca

Industrial hygiene in Manitoba: http://aiha.cancercare.mb.ca

Radiology in Manitoba: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/radiology

>>> "MW Charles" <m.w.charles@bham.ac.uk> 08/13/01 10:29AM >>>

Dear Colleagues

I have a request for information regarding the justification for

mammography screening.  I am looking for a scientific explanation

of national policy on the age range of women for which screening is

considered beneficial.  The benefits of early detection of breast

cancer have to be balanced against the possible risk of induced

cancers in the general population of women being screened.  The

balance presumably requires an estimate of the radiation risk, the

age dependence of this risk, and the effectiveness of the screening

process.

I would like to know if there is any published rationale for national

screening policies?

Many thanks

Monty Charles

Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics

School of Physics & Astronomy

University of Birmingham

Edgbaston

Birmingham B15 2TT