Re: MERCURY IN CENTRAL PARK LAKE FROM COAL

In a message dated 8/16/01 8:58:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
jenday1@EMAIL.MSN.COM writes:

The RPI study
shows that the level of mercury in sediment at the bottom of New York
City's Central Park Lake is at least 10 times the amount found in some
industrial areas. "The atmospheric input of mercury to the sediments
is the highest I have ever seen," says Richard Bopp.

Ten times what?  What has Mr. Bopp seen?  What industrial areas?  I know of
several where there is almost no detectable mercury in airborne particles.

This is a lovely example of distortion by generalization.  Maybe the mercury
found is a little, maybe it's a lot, but there is no way to tell from the
article cited.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com