RE: CS-137 in the Black Sea Salt.

Radsafers,

For your information here you have the Cs-137 and K-40

concentrations in the Black Sea water at the Constanta Monitoring

  Station. The following values are quite aproxiamte, I have

teken them from a graph (if somebody is interested I xcan scan it

and send as a graphic file).

The source is the 1998 and 1999 report of National Committee on

the Control of Nuclear Activities, Directorate of Survellance of

the Radioactivity of the Environment.

		1998			       1999

  	Cs-137

	K-40 	  Cs-137	K-40

	(Bq/m^3)       (Bq/m^3)	 (Bq/m^3)      (Bq/m^3)

ian

26

	5000	    20		3500

feb

18

	5300	    11		3700

mar

22

	4400	    27		3800

apr

20.5

	3100	    27		5000

may

19

	4500	    32          5500

jun

18

	4100	    6           3000

jul

18

	3800	    8           3300

aug

15

	3850	    14          4000

sep

29

	3900	    13          3800

oct

6

	3100	    13          4100

nov

9.5

	4000	    15          3800

dec

16.5

	3200        22          3800

These values are obtained from gamma spectrometrical measurements

of a cumulative sample resulted from the residuum (after

evaporation) of daily water samples

Radioactivity of the Danube river (for comparison)

		1998			       1999

  	    Cs-137	K-40 		  Cs-137	K-40

	    (Bq/m^3)    (Bq/m^3)	 (Bq/m^3)      (Bq/m^3)

Turnu Severin	0.55	  38		    1.4		 90

Bechet

         0.5	  5		    1.8		 35

Turnu Magurele   no data		    1.4		 75

Giurgiu  	0.85	  60		    0.65	 38

Cernavoda

nd

   45	            0.95         55

Galati    	     nd                      1.1         80

Tulcea

	nd	  66

             0.7          95

1 year cumulative samples

The Commission was reorganized this year, I do not know if this

Directorate still exists.

  For further information you should contact the former director,

Florin Baciu , fbaciu@router.cncan.ro. If trhis address do not

work, please let me know, I will find the right one.

Yours

Laszlo

Laszlo Toro

Radiation Hygiene Dept.