Re: News Article: Scary? You Bet It Is

The only point I will agree with, as far as similarities, is that there

are statistics, and, as with all statistics, they can be shaped to

support whatever hypothesis is desired.

As far as substituting nuclear power with shark, I will take

exception. Having had the fortune and experiences of swimming

with sharks, one must always be attuned to the surroundings and

all the movements going on around you. It is true, that sharks

generally only attack when they mistake a person as fish, seals or

other marine life. There are precautions one should take. The

majority of the recent attacks that occurred in FL, and I know these

waters well, were the root cause of surfers, who in my opinion were

mindless, ignoring the fact that there are and had been attacks in

the current area, and refused to accept the beach closings. In other

words, they exacerbated the attacks. The sharks were there, they

were feeding and, when you go into a feeding area, you're going to

get bit. Pure and simple. I equate this to walking into a burning

building. If you stay long enough, you're going to get burned. The

result is directly proportional to your efforts.

Therefore, I don't equate the fear of shark attacks, the use of

statistics that state shark attacks are rare, with the perception of

nuclear power. I am a fervent proponent for more nuclear power in

the US. However, an accident can be caused by many factors; i.e.

human, machine and process. That is why we require procedures,

QA, training and experience for staff.

In general, the public fears sharks, and they fear nuclear power.

Beyond that, I see no comparison.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle